5 Business Lessons we Learn From the Fashion Industry
- October 22, 2012
- Posted by: ACPWC
- Category: Events
If the wedding planning sector wants to stay on its toes, we have to look beyond the industry. For example, the fashion world is fast changing and demanding (like the wedding industry), so we think there are a few things that wedding planners could learn from them.
- Innovation is key. A great fashion designer keeps on top of trends and is always willing to try new things. Make sure you keep your services fresh by reviewing the suppliers you use and being creative when it comes to offering solutions.
- It’s all about communication. Fashion designers use a lot of support staff and other businesses to bring their collections together and the same is true of wedding planners. If you’re not working as well with others as you think you should be, you need to consider improving your interpersonal skills.
- Deadlines can’t be missed. Fashion designers can’t miss the deadline for a show; you can’t miss the deadline for a wedding. The abilities to work under pressure and to stay calm when things go wrong are essential in great wedding planners. Time management courses are available for those who need to brush up their skills.
- Accept constructive criticism. While designers are on the sharp end of the fashion press, it can also be hard for wedding planners to be told that their brides aren’t happy with the ideas they’ve been given. Recognize that a fantastic wedding requires a team effort.
- Be a good decision maker. Once the ideas are swirling round, a fashion designer has to plump for the outfits for their collection and go for it. An effective wedding planner must be firm in selecting suppliers and implementing the plan that’s needed to achieve that perfect wedding.
Do you agree that other industries can provide new ideas? Please let us know.