How to Shop for a Wedding Planner
When Shopping for a Wedding Planner, be careful on skimping too much, or you’ll get what you pay for and end up paying for what you didn’t get. ACPWC put together the information below to help you get the most out of your search for a qualified Wedding Planner. We encourage you to make a copy of this and take it with you on your quest for the perfect Wedding Planner for your special day. For more information about our training program for Wedding Planners, go to ACPWC.
Dangers to look out for:
- No Consultant at all – Even if you think you can do it all…you can’t! Not hiring a planner can be a huge mistake. Paying too little can be just as bad. There is value in the service, like any other service provider. You get what you pay for. Invest in quality service. If you can’t afford a Full Service’ Planner, hire a ‘Wedding Day Manager’.
- An untrained Consultant – Anyone can claim they are a Wedding Planner. But wedding planning is a complicated field that requires a foundation of knowledge & trusted relationships in the industry, extreme organization, and expertise. If it’s too much for a bride to undertake, then it’s too much for someone untrained.
- The wrong Consultant for you – Ouch! Unmeshing personalities can cause unnecessary anxiety in the weeks prior to your wedding. Suggestion: Interview several Wedding Planners before hiring the best consultant for you.
Things to consider while shopping:
- Did they answer their phone or, at the very least, have a warm welcoming message to greet you? Be sure to leave your contact information.
- Did they sound professional? This can tell you a lot about how they will handle your wedding plans.
- Does their personality fit yours? You will be spending a lot of time together during the planning process.
*As a Bride, you should understand that you are not just paying for time to coordinate your wedding. You are paying for knowledge, expertise, talent, experience, and top-notch planning skills.
Let’s make it C-L-E-A-R!
C Capture your vision – Does she understand what you want?
Creative – Does she make good suggestions for creative solutions?
Do they have good Communication skills?
How do they Charge?
L Are they a good Listener?
Do you have similar Likes and ideas? Will you work well together?
Look out for current trends
Are they a Leader? You are paying them to lead your team of vendors.
E Education – Where did they receive training? Are they certified?
What is their Industry Experience? How long in business?
What is her Expertise? Do they have a specialty?
Do they Exercise Ethical business practices?
A Attitude – Are they friendly and genuinely interested in your wedding?
Do they Ask the right questions? They should ask about your budget right away.
Do they pay Attention to details?
Affiliations – Belonging to a professional association shows they keep up-to-date and care about improving the industry.
R Reliable – What is their Reputation in the industry?
Letters of Recommendations – Ask for Referrals from friends?
Do they have good vendor Relationships?
Can they Recreate your vision and make the wedding of your dreams a Reality!
Are you looking for Planners in your area? Please take a look at our list of Members for a professional Wedding Consultant near you.