Seasons of Change Brings New Opportunities
- July 19, 2012
- Posted by: ACPWC
- Category: Courses
Did you ever wake up and feel like you had entered the “twilight zone”? The ‘norm’ was no longer ‘normal’. What used to work, no longer worked. Common courtesy became uncommon. Nothing really changed and everything changed without notice. You realize these past couple of years have brought a “Season of Change.”
Thinking back four years ago, you were in a box –You did the same thing, the same way and back then it worked. Three years ago – you were taught to think outside the box – Do something differently from your competitors and that worked. Two years ago you had to reinvent the box – “Reinvent” yourself, your marketing approach and your services. What will this season bring? More changes?
What was status quo is now being questioned.
- Should you take a course or attend a conference?
- Should you become a member of an association?
- Should you attend a networking event or workshop?
- How should you promote yourself?
- How do you stay ahead of the competition?
Picture a large puzzle all assembled. Everything fits. You take it apart and now you can’t seem to get it back together. The pieces are the same, but for some reason, they don’t fit together anymore. They are still a part of the puzzle, but now they are in a different position. Maybe there is a missing piece? Hopefully the missing piece isn’t you! Did the season of change bring a change in you? Can you relate to any of the scenarios below?
Burn the Ship
Picture yourself embarking on a ship headed for the isle of ‘Success’. Which group best describes you?
- Group 1- You will not even engage in the possibility of sailing towards success. You have failed because you didn’t even try.
- Group 2 – You think about going but have many reasons why you think you shouldn’t go. You are skeptical; you complain the entire trip. Moaning, whining, complaining and questioning everything. When you finally reach the shore, you will face the most challenges because you neither have a strong belief in yourself or a burning passion to be there.
- Group 3 – You go looking forward to the possibilities, the adventure, chasing the dream. You may have some doubts, but you are not paralyzed by the fears or the challenges. You are happy when you reach the other side. You are passionate about the vision. This vision will keep you going when your body and mind want to give up. You are dedicated and committed to the dream. Although you may sometimes feel like you should be committed, you don’t give up. You recognize that there may be challenges. You visualize the opportunity for success. You are energized by the possibilities. You understand what “Burn the ship” means. When you reach your destination you have to move forward regardless of the changes that have occurred. There is no turning back!
Law of Attraction
The Law of Attraction states you need to be what you are trying to attract. Be a professional business owner to attract others professionals.
- Do business with integrity.
- Work with professionals who are at your same level of service. They will make you look better.
- Figure out what you need, others may need it too. Create a niche from that need. Using your talents and special gifts can make you an expert in that area. Competition is fierce. You need to distinguish yourself from others.
- Remember the customer is not just paying for service, but for your skills, knowledge, and expertise. Guess what? No one knows more about your business than you do. Tell them all about YOU! What you can do that others can’t or won’t.
- Demand more of yourself. Command more from others. This will make the entire industry better. Believe in yourself and your abilities. If you don’t believe in you and what you do, then why should a customer?
- Stop thinking about what others can do for you; think about what you can do differently than others.
- Be careful who you do business with. Their reputation may become yours!
Set yourself free from the “Prisoner Mentality.” There are no limits to how far you can go. There are no prison yards with electric fences to hold you back. Stop being locked into a cell of old ways and develop some new ideas. Don’t be imprisoned by your negative thoughts or your fears. Stop buying into what others say you can’t do. Think about what you can do and how you can do it better.
If you are “imprisoned”, take some quiet time to change your focus & gain perspective. Quit focusing on the problem and focus on the solution. Remember there may be more that one solution to the problem. Why not look for multiple solutions and then find the one that is right for you.
This is a season to change our shape. Four years ago, in a box. Three years ago, thinking outside the box. Two years ago, reinventing the box. This year the question is: How can you make your box round? Yes are round box or dare I say, a “well-rounded” box.
This is a season to change your shape? Change the way you think. We are a global economy. You have to start viewing things from a global perspective, start seeing the whole picture. You can no longer think linearly. There is more than one solution to each challenge. You have to start thinking globally, synergistically and with flexibility. Like the world, a giant ball, changing perspective with every turn, staying connected, and still holding together with ever rotation.
Thinking globally suggests:
- There are no sides – meaning, there are no limits
- Trying to remember where it began, not knowing where it will end
- Being able to bounce back or roll with the punches
- Acceptance of what is thrown at you, the ability to adjust, and to make it work
- Having a well-rounded approach to situations and challenges
You can’t stay in one position. You have to keep moving, keep changing and evolving – if you are to survive this Season of Change. Things are changing fast and you have to change with them, to compete. Not always easy, but necessary!
When experiencing a “Season of Change”, there are really only two solutions: Give up or persevere! It’s easy to quit, but this is the season to persevere. This is a time for Survivors!
You have to be concerned with more than just your Season of Change. Others are changing too. It’s not just about how things affect you, but how things affect others, and what effect it will have on you?
Association of Certified Professional Wedding Consultants
‘Training and certifying wedding planners for over 21 years’