Wedding Planner Tip: Client Consultation Do’s and Don’ts
- March 12, 2013
- Posted by: ACPWC
- Category: Uncategorized Weddings
So you’ve been chatting with a bride and you are ready for your wedding consultation. As a professional Wedding Planner, it is very important for your meeting to be successful.
Here are a few Do’s and Don’ts we came up with:
- Find out as much as possible before meeting – This will allow you to determine if you will be a good fit and to bring samples of items you think will appeal to the couple.
- Meet in a comfortable place that allows you room to show who you are, and be prepared – By showing the couple right off you are a professional Wedding Planner, they will begin to trust you. Whether you meet in your office, at a coffee shop, or at the potential venue, allow yourself an adequate-sized table to display your creativity through wedding magazines, your portfolio and/or laptop, etc… Arrive early and arrange the table well. Serve beverages.
- Dress appropriately – You never get a second chance to make a first good impression. We suggest being stylish and professional. A suit is a safe choice (be sure not to look sexier than the bride). Your color choices, jewelry accents, clean and manicured nails and hair can tell the couple a lot about your services, so be sure to reflect well.
- Ask questions, and do ALOT of listening – By becoming a good listener and throwing away your preconceived ideas, you can really get to know your couple’s unique needs and visions for their wedding day. This will make them feel valued.
- Verify what they are asking for – Make sure you are on the same page by confirming what you are hearing. Set the expectations…what you will do and what you expect from them.
- Explain what you do in a nutshell – This should be well-prepared so as not to spend too much time on yourself. Be precise, confident, honest and passionate. And be yourself. Your love for your business should show clearly in this area.
- Follow up – Follow up and thank the couple for meeting with you. By doing so, you will leave a lasting impression and show you care.
- Assume – Going into the meeting with preconceived ideas from the couple’s appearance can blur your creative vision. Let them tell you what they want.
- Talk a lot – This is their special day. It’s all about them. Couples like to be heard.
Was this helpful? Please let us know what has been successful for you on your wedding consultations.